Friday, May 29, 2020

Anecdote #53

Just when I thought I had quit writing, I find myself at this page again. Last year I had my mind fixed on only one goal which is still my main ambition but I left my blog at the cost of that.

My knack for writing comes from my father who was very regular with his pieces but like me became disillusioned with the pen.

 It is probably the other way around, like my father I became disillusioned with writing.

So why come back now, when my aim in life is not be a writer?

It is because I forgot what writing did to me. I forgot how cathartic the process was, I forgot how effortlessly it came to me and mostly I forgot that it is a gift which I did not cherish.

After pestering my father incessantly to get back to writing I realised the irony of the situation and I found myself logging into my page again.

First things first, let us bring the Cambridge journey to an end.

My last post ended with some wishful thinking. I really wished for a dorm at Cripps Court as I wanted to be around my friends Urmeen and Manmeen. Both of them were aware of my concerns as well so we hatched a plan to write to the Dean, Amanda. I called my father and the strategy was that he would write to Amanda while I convinced the counselor, Ellen on ground.
While I made my plea my father penned the perfect mail and guess what by the afternoon I got a single suite with an attached bathroom at Cripps Court!
I was ecstatic but had very little time to process the information as I was given a limited window to settle into the new room. I ran with Urmeen to my old dorm almost a kilometer away and we began packing my suitcases.
The two of us not only packed my luggage which included a separate suitcase just full of Indian food but lugged it down two stories of the building and on top of that carried it all the way back to Cripps Court!

It was a tiring task and without Urmeen it definitely would not have been possible.

Now that I was all unpacked, the happiness finally kicked in! I could finally go to the mess in casuals and lounge with my girls!
That day was definitely incredible for me, adding to my already lifted spirits there was a fun quiz held in the evening where the three of us all along with Danny (if you have read my previous posts you'll recognise him) were clubbed in a team. To make the quiz more interesting we named our team Danny's Prodigies. But surprisingly the person who had the most answers was Danny.
He completely exceeded our expectations and we stood second in the quiz!

All the activity in evening had gotten the three of us in a supremely great mood. We chatted endlessly for hours on and enjoyed Jasmine tea together in the verandah. The pleasant weather, hot tea and beautiful company gave me indescribable peace.

It was that day I realised that the simplest pleasures are the most memorable ones and good hearted people can be the best source of comfort when family is not around.

1 comment: